Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Burda 8280 - skirt #2

I tried this pattern again over the weekend, adding just a bit more room where I needed it. This is an Amy Butler "Daisy Chain" fabric. As soon as this fabric line came out I knew I wanted to wear something made from this, and ordered 2 yds of it. I thought it was going to be a dress (Butterick 5179) but ended up just using it for the border of that one, which left enough of a piece to make this skirt from, too.

I think this will be my new favorite skirt. I will confess I haven't worn it yet. Just finished hemming by hand last night, but today is cool and gloomy (68 feels downright cold when you live in Hawaii!) so I'm gonna wait for a warmer day. Wish I had a better pic, too, but that gloom makes for crappy photos, and Hubbie isn't around to take one of me wearing it. It has a bit more flare than shows up here. Will update when I've got a better one.

Anyway, this fits well, and is a breeze to sew, especially when you don't do a fussy job with matching the print on the seams, as I've done in other versions (Nigella twill coming up!). I made a bound waist, rather than the facing the pattern calls for, and used two smaller darts where the pattern has single more generous ones. Big triumph: my first invisible zipper in the center back seam! Practiced on scrap first, and only sewed one side of the zip in backwards once, so fairly smooth going. I'd show you a photo, but hey, it's invisible, so you'll just have to take my word for it that it's there.

So looking forward to wearing this... hope the sun comes out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment