I posted a while back my "someday" intention to do something about the truly grubby cover on my ironing board. I finally got around to it a week or so ago.
Key to making this quick and easy was starting with the replacement muslin cover that had come with the ironing board when I bought it several years ago. I came across it when I was tiding up the sewing room, pre-trip, and was smart enough to set it aside where I would see it again when I got back.
This end-of-bolt length of butterfly fabric -- a bit over a yard and part of my in-person FabricDepot binge -- was a good size, so I lay it out on the hall floor, face down, lay the muslin cover on top of it, and cut that shape from the fabric with pinking shears. I lifted up the edge of the muslin as I went along so my fabric cut-out was just slightly smaller than the muslin.
Then I flipped both layers over and added a few pins to hold things in place. Here it is before pinning:
If it looks wide, that's because I have one of those extra-wide ironing boards, which is great for pressing quilting yardage. You can see exactly how careful and precise my cutting was here:
When pinned, I took it to the machine and sewed around the edge with a zig-zag stitch, equally carefully:
Lickety-split and it was ready to go.
The thin padding beneath the old muslin cover was not adequate. My iron puts out a lot of heat and steam on the "cotton" setting (which I use a lot) and the metal grate under the pad would get very hot. I sacrificed a towel from the "workout towels" pile for additional padding. I simple lay it over the board with the old pad on top (you can see the indelible grate impression below), put my new, double-layer (muslin + print) cover on top, and tightened the drawstring to pull it all into shape around the board.
Then I cut off the edges of the towel that were hanging out (didn't finish the edges, or nuthin', just snipped 'em off), and was done.
Total time for task: didn't track, but I doubt it was more than 10 minutes. That was after I waited for the cat to fall asleep so he wouldn't pounce on the fabric laid out on the floor and roll around on it.
How long it took me to get around to this quick and easy task? I'm not saying. If I'd had any sense I would have waited a couple more days and done this on Nov. 1, instead of in October, so it would count toward the 100 Yard Challenge.
A while back I gave up on shopping and decided try making some clothes. Since then I've purchased more fabric than I've used, buffed up my (rusty) seamstress skills, and have managed to make a few things that I love. Some quilts, too! What a thrill! It's all documented here...
Nice "how-to" for beginners, plus good project ideas
Must-have fabric reference: don't sew without it!
The FTC makes me say this
Yes, clickable images here are likely to be affiliate links. Like you hadn't guessed. Sometimes I put affiliate links in the text of a post, too, but I'm pretty lazy about that. Last year I earned $1.08 from Amazon, so it's not like I'm getting rich off your clicks. Yet.