Saturday, January 31, 2009

Oh, the Possibilities!

My Kaffe Fasset fabric binge arrived this week. Oh man, are these prints gorgeous!

All of these were purchased on impulse due to a half-price sale (would this be a good place to confess that I have, already, as of the last day of January, purchased HALF of my target yardage for the entire year?). I got mostly 1-yard cuts with a few 2-yards from prints I thought I might want to wear.

Mostly I had in mind a paper-pieced quilt project of some kind, so made sure to get some darks, some brights, some pastels, and some prints that--in small pieces--would yield multiple pattern/color impressions.

What I've ended up with are some combos that I so want to wear that I'm gonna start with fashion projects, and use the scraps for future quilting. As indulgent as these photos may seem, there are about 4 more prints I haven't photographed. Maybe more than 4. I'm too embarrassed to go count them.

Here's combo #1:

There's a blouse in there somewhere. The little strip of pink/red showing in the middle is the only one of the prints purchased that I am not completely 100% gaga over. That doesn't mean I don't like it (what's not to like about KF?), just that the drool factor on that one is lower than expected. But I like how a hint of it pops with the other two. Don't have a pattern in mind yet, blouse-y contemplation still going on.

Combo #2

The Paperweight print in "algae" colorway (far left) I already had... waiting for me to acquire something to go with it. Et voila. I'm picturing a long sleeveless tank dress from these, maybe with gathered tiers to the skirt, maybe with a somewhat shaped bodice (princess seaming, plain old darts?). I have a few rayon numbers of that ilk in frequent wear rotation for inspiration. Probably will grab a bodice pattern from somewhere, improvise the skirt.

Combo #3

These have to become an ankle-length peasant skirt. They just have to. I'm giddy with anticipation of wearing the finished garment, and cringing at the thought of tackling yet another gathered monstrosity.

I'm only about a third of the way through Peasant Skirt #2 (from blue/green Amy Butler fabrics, stay tuned for pics of that), and man, the basting, the fussy gathering and pinning. Ugh, what a chore. I took me months to recover from the mind-numbing tedium of making the Parrokeet Peasant Skirt . I'm sure I'll be as sick of the gathered-tier process again by the time I'm done with the AB one.

So what has got into me to already be planning another?

Well, I wore the Parrokeet skirt the other day, and remembered how much I like it. It's so ultra-comfy, and fun to wear, and I get a kick out of the goofy fabric and bright colors. I'm much happier with it than with any of the garments I've made from patterns lately. And they're a great way to mix and match gorgeous fabrics like these.

So perhaps I should give in to impulse, embrace my bohemian side and make/wear lots and lots of peasant skirts.

Excuse me while I go add "patchouli oil" to my shopping list...

Come to think of it, I have a bottle of Mandarin Orange and Patchouli body wash in my shower, and it's divine (i.e., not overly patchouli-y). A quick visit to the Nature's Gate website reveals they make a body lotion in that fragrance, too. Hmmm, maybe revisiting my youth isn't such a bad idea.

Yes, I'm old enough to have done the peasant-skirt-and-patchouli thing the first time around, in case you were wondering.

It was fun. I think I'll do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment