Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Home Decor I Can Do

I do have a sewing machine, and sort of know how to use it -- for making basic stuff like cushions and slipcovers. I'm rather proud of having made a slipcover for our couch a few years ago, and in the past year I have turned out a cover for the daybed in the guest room, and cute little seat cushions for our kitchen chairs from the leftover fabric:



I’ve also made new cushions and covers for the "elephant bamboo" couch and chair in the living room:


I like the challenge these projects present of working without a pattern and figuring out how to cut the fabric and stitch the project. I can put in a zipper, make a constrast-lined inverted box pleat, and make my own welting. I can even make a patchwork quilt, although I haven't done much of that lately.
In fact, my stash of quilt fabrics is partly responsible for my decision to undertake the sew-my-own-wardrobe endeavor. I looked at it the other day and thought, "Who am I kidding? I'm never going to make quilts out of all of this stuff." Sure, I could just give it all away, but "Why not make some clothes out of it?", I thought.
Quilting cotton isn’t the greatest fashion fabric, but I'm not aiming for haute couture here, or even for half-assed Project Runway wannabe-dom. I just want some comfortable, not-too-hideous, not-too-boring, hot-weather-appropriate clothing to wear around the house and to the farmer's market and maybe, if something turns out particularly well some day, for going out to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment